Brushing to Perfection – The Best Toothbrush Tips
One of the most important parts of your dental care routine is brushing your teeth twice a day. Dentists agree that brushing techniques can make a significant difference in the amount of plaque removed. With a little help from affordable dentists and these useful brushing tips, virtually all people with natural teeth can get more from their oral hygiene routines and enjoy better dental health. Get your toothbrush and toothpaste ready, and compare your routine to what dentists recommend.
Brushing Tips from the Pros
- Brush the teeth in each quadrant of your mouth for 30 seconds. Your total brushing time should add up to two minutes.
- When brushing both the inner and outer surfaces of your teeth, hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle, and use half-tooth-wide strokes to brush at the gum line.
- Hold your brush flat and use back-and-forth strokes to brush chewing surfaces.
- When you brush the interior surfaces of your front teeth, tilt the brush, and use the toe of the brush to make gentle strokes in an up-and-down motion.
- To remove food residue and freshen your breath, brush your tongue from back to front in a sweeping motion.
- Use fluoride toothpaste that bears the American Dental Association (ADA) seal of approval.
- Choose a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- The toothbrush should comfortably fit the size and shape of your mouth and easily reach all surfaces of your teeth.
- Replace your toothbrush when it is three to four months old or shows signs of wear. To help you remember when to replace it, write the date you started using a new toothbrush on its handle with a permanent marker.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of South Bend today at (574) 367-7000 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of South Bend, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of South Bend.