Don’t Let a Dental Emergency Ruin Your Smile
In the field of emergency dentistry, timing is everything. Knowing how to handle dental emergencies can increase your chances of saving your tooth. Accidents never happen at convenient times, but getting help as quickly as possible is essential for ensuring the best results. When a tooth injury or other dental emergency occurs, calling your dentist or visiting the emergency room right away is important. Always provide as much detail about the accident or injury as possible, and follow any instructions given to you by phone.
Expert Tips from Emergency Dentists
- If a permanent adult tooth is knocked out, be sure to keep it moist. Try to place the tooth back in its socket without touching its root. If this is impossible, store it between your cheek and gums, or place it in milk. Get to your dentist’s office as soon as possible.
- For fractured or cracked teeth, rinse your mouth with warm water to remove debris. If swelling is present, apply a cold compress, and see your dentist in South Bend promptly.
- If you develop a toothache, rinse your mouth with warm water, and use dental floss to carefully remove any food or foreign objects lodged between your teeth. Don’t put aspirin on your teeth or gums, and don’t try to remove an object from your teeth with a sharp instrument. If the pain persists, see your dentist as soon as you can.
- For tongue, cheek, and lip bites, clean the area carefully with water and use a cold compress to reduce pain and swelling. If you are bleeding heavily, seek emergency care.
How to Avoid Dental Emergencies
- Always wear a custom-made or boil-and-bite mouth guard during sports activities.
- Avoid biting into ice or chewing hard candies, popcorn kernels, and other hard foods. They can cause your teeth to crack.
- Never use your teeth to cut things or open bottle caps. Use scissors or bottle openers instead.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in South Bend, call The Dental Center of South Bend today at (574) 367-7000 or make an appointment.
The Dental Center offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in South Bend. With 4 affiliated practices throughout Indiana, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At The Dental Center of South Bend, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at The Dental Center of South Bend.